After surgery these are the things that we have to remember:
(For Patients who have no post-surgical restrictions)
1. Wear your brace at all times when out of the house.
2. Slowly put more weight on your surgical leg when walking with your crutches and brace locked (Weight Bearing As Tolerated- WBAT).
3. Keep your brace locked until your PT gives you clearance to walk with it unlocked.
4. Think about contracting your quadricep as you put more weight on your leg to stabilize your knee.
5. Complete your home program every day outside of formal PT.
6. Use the Range of Motion you gained in PT.
7. When sitting at home or at work, split time between extension and flexion
– Take your brace off and keep your knee bent in a comfortable place after surgery.
– Prop your heel up and let your knee sag Complete for 1-5 min increments 2-3 times per day.
8. When you are able to progress walking with brace unlocked, use all of your Range of Motion and activate your quadricep when accepting weight.
Trust your body and trust the process.
Read more article: Why does my knee crack after my ACL surgery?